As a longtime admirer and visitor of other people’s mid century/modernist themed architecture, home and property websites, I decided to start my own blog in 2014 to document the visits that I made to various places of interest.
Six years on, the blog serves as a pretty comprehensive record of my travels, open house visits, shopping trips, property search saga and entire house renovation project that took place during this period.
A few disclaimers:
- I only had an iPhone camera (and an iPhone 4 camera at that) when I started the blog in 2014 so the quality of the photos in some of the older posts are downright shocking. Photos as well as formatting and hopefully, the quality of the writing have all improved over the years!
- I have absolutely no original interior design ideas of my own – if something I’ve done in any of the homes I’ve lived in through the years looks familiar, it’s probably because I’ve stolen the idea from something I’ve seen elsewhere. I am also not above buying cheap knock-off mid century furniture so if something looks like a knock-off, it probably is (though I’ve probably got less of this now compared to when I started the blog!).
- All photos of other people’s properties were taken on tours or at properties preserved as museums. I have tried to obtain the explicit consent from property owners in relation to being featured on this blog but where this has not been possible, I have assumed a degree of implied consent (on the basis that the property owners have kindly permitted the taking of photographs within their homes). I will of course take down any posts/photos if I receive any objections.
- I do not come from an architecture or design background and do not profess to be an expert on either. My observations to date have been less than illuminating from an educational perspective and have been more along the lines of “Isn’t this layout/window/cork flooring interesting?”
- This blog is called Modernist Pilgrimage but I’m well aware that not everything featured is technically modernist – I just thought it would make for a good name (quite honestly, I was probably inspired at the time by the blog Modernist Estates, which I’ve always enjoyed).
Hi! I’m loving this blog! Would it be possible to ask you a couple of questions in private? Cheers!
Thanks Charlotte! Feel free to drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hi! I’ve really enjoyed reading your blog. I live in the next estate up from Great Brownings and I’ve been interested in Dulwich Estate architecture for a while, so it’s been fun to read all your posts.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks very much Gillian, much appreciated! Which one of the estates out of interest?